Why Did God Create Atheists

Welcome LGBTIQ Friends & Family! Forums Daily Devotions Why Did God Create Atheists

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mary Anonymous 1 month, 3 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 9 times

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brotherlawrence

Why Did God Create Atheists?

Brother Lawrence Damien CoS

Dear Family

This was sent to me by a friend on Facebook and I think it has a lot for us to consider and think about especially in our witness for Christ.  Perhaps we need to become to like atheists to truly share Christ unselfishly. Read on and see if you agree with me. Any comments always welcomed.

Why Did God Create Atheists?

There is a famous story told in Chassidic literature that addresses this question. The Master teaches the student that God created everything in the world to be appreciated, as everything is here to teach us something.

One clever student asks “What lesson can we learn from atheists? Why did God create them?

The Master responds “God created atheists to teach us the most important lesson of them all—the lesson of true compassion. You see when an atheist performs an act of charity, visits someone who is sick, helps someone in need, and cares for the world, he is not doing it because of some religious teaching. He does not believe that God commanded him to perform this act. In fact he does not believe in God at all, so his acts are based on an inner sense of morality. And look at the kindness he can bestow upon others simply because he feels it to be right.”

This means the Master continued “that when someone reaches out to you for help , you should never say ‘I pray God will help you.’  Instead for the moment you should become like the atheist, imagine there is no God who can help, and say ‘ I will help you.” (Tales of the Hasidim Vol 2)

Profile photo of mary

LOVE IT!!!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.