The Mask You Live IN

Welcome LGBTIQ Friends & Family! Forums Movie Reviews The Mask You Live IN

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of daytonatom DaytonaTom 6 months ago. This post has been viewed 12 times

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DadLarry

I own over 300 movies which I have purchased to use in my GLBT Movie of the Week at the Senior Center in Iowa City, Iowa.  Each week since January 8, 2012, if it was not a National Holiday or a Snow Day, I have shown a movie open to the public and FREE of charges. 

Some of these movies I have Reviewed on the previous Christian Gays Sites and I plan to replace them again But I feel that this Review deserves to be that first Movie to be Reviewed because it talks about MAN which was the first being GOD chose to Create according too some versions of the Creation Story (not likely if you are a Creationist since Woman is Mother.

BUT most MEN have been made to feel that they are less than the MAN, GOD INTENDED THEM TO BE.  Most men live in Masks and this is one of the few movies I have seen that talk about it.

The Mask You Live In follows boys and young men as they struggle to stay true to themselves while negotiating America’s narrow definition of masculinity.

Research shows that compared to girls, boys in the U.S. are more likely to be diagnosed with a behavior disorder, prescribed stimulant medications, fail out of school, binge drink, commit a violent crime, and/or take their own lives.

Jennifer Siebel Newsom is a filmmaker, CEO, advocate, and thought leader. After graduating with honors from Stanford University and Stanford’s Graduate School of Business, she wrote, directed, and produced the 2011 award-winning documentary Miss Representation. As a result of Miss Representation’s powerful impact, she launched The Representation Project, a nonprofit organization that uses film and media as a catalyst for cultural transformation.

Her second film as a director, The Mask You Live In, had its world premiere at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival and explores how America’s narrow definition of masculinity is harming boys, men, and society at large.

She also executive produced the Emmy Award-Winning and Academy Award-Nominated documentary The Invisible War, and is an executive producer on the documentary The Hunting Ground.

She is currently in production on her third film, The Great American Dream.

When she is not running The Representation Project and making documentaries, she serves as a Global Advisory Board member of the Dove Self Esteem Project, co-chair of We Day California, a commissioner on the Girl Scouts’ Healthy Media Commission, and on the Advisory Council for the Imagine Kids Bus Project.

She resides in the San Francisco Bay Area with her husband, California Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom, and their four young children.

See more at:

Profile photo of daytonatom

<p>Hi Larry and Group…..</p><p>  Thanks for telling us about The Mask You Live In….When our church’s Men’s Group reconvenes in the fall, I’ll be sure to recommend that film….It is a natural for the type of discussions we hold….</p><p>  I was curious about the structure of the film — whether it was strictly talking-heads documentary, or if it had dramatic content, i.e. stories of individual boys to illustrate patterns being presented. In looking at other reviews, I gather it is primarily talking-heads.  Here is an excerpt from a mixed review by Ben Kenigsberg that appeared in Variety:</p><p>”The film effectively highlights the unexamined implications of the language associated with maleness (“man up” or “be a man”). Many points are reinforced with television and film clips (including one from “Whiplash” — it’s here already). With bell-curve graphs illustrated onscreen, psychologist Michael G. Thompson says that if you gave the same psychological tests to girls and boys, the responses would overlap by 90% — indicating that the sexes have much more in common than not. The movie looks at stereotypes surrounding athletic and financial success; psychologist Madeline Levine says she’s seen 8-year-old boys who say they want to become venture capitalists. Some of the more compelling, activity-driven footage deals with the teaching work of Ashanti Branch, an educator who founded an Oakland, Calif.-based youth-advocacy group……</p><p>”In general, the testimony from experts — who include the ubiquitous Stanford prison experiment psychologist Philip Zimbardo — is more illuminating than the many clips of boys and grown men sharing anecdotes about their fathers and upbringings. Some of the interviewees might as well have been randomly selected.</p><p>”And while the movie notes that mass shooters tend to be male, even though American women grow up with easy access to guns, employing news clips of the Aurora movie-theater shooting (among other violent incidents) before the opening credits only suggests from the get-go that “The Mask You Live In” has little use for complexity. Reductive and sensationalistic correlations detract from the movie’s salient points.</p><p>”A sprightly score from Eric Holland and the parade of talking heads against blinding-white backdrops enhance the edu-doc/TV commercial vibe.”</p><p>Another review that I read observed that the film basically reflects feminist theory about gender, but added that men shouldn’t be deterred by the feminist content or the fact that a woman made the film.</p><p>DaytonaTom in Florida</p><p> </p><p> </p>

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.