Pat Robertson – I have difficulty with this one

Welcome LGBTIQ Friends & Family! Forums *Social Group* Pat Robertson – I have difficulty with this one

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rev62 Rev62 3 months ago. This post has been viewed 52 times

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of drdj
    drdj
    Participant

I

checked Snopes

and either they have not checked it out or it is true. I find it horrible that this would be believed. Indeed, Children who are abused into something like this, often then become the worst critics when they turn away from the Church.

It is my humble opinion that one wins people over by love and example..

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2016/09/pat-robertson-non-religious-children-should-be-beaten-until-they-respect-christian-beliefs/

Profile photo of kinsley1
    kinsley1

A good way to make your Children to never Love or Respect you again. That man is a nutcase and just for what he said should be enough for Disney to remove his show. God never ever said to beat your kids into believing.  I really hope he looses his Ministry.

Profile photo of DaytonaTom
    DaytonaTom
    Participant

Not surprising to me. Robertson has a way of fastening onto one particular verse that suits him. In this case, he is probably looking at the Old Testament verse that says disobedient children should be killed. Or else the “spare the rod” verse in Proverbs.

Much of the Hebrew Bible reinforces the concept of a patriarch having dictatorial powers. There are many verses that repeat over and over again that children, slaves, wives and concubines should submit to the patriarch. The story of the near-sacrifice of Isaac is perhaps the most terrifying. Offhand, I can’t think of Old Testament verses that portray a patriarch loving his children or nurturing them¬† — that’s Mom’s job. The New Testament is gentler and more merciful. You have Jesus telling his disciples not to shoo away the youngsters who wanted his attention.¬† Also, the young boy who offered to help feed the crowd and was commended by Jesus, rather than ridiculed. And best of all, the story of the father welcoming home the prodigal son.

In the circumstance presented by Robertson, he is pointing out that grandparents in most modern American families no longer have much respect. I think adult children do have an obligation to listen to the religious views of their elderly parents but also the right to form their own views. A grandson who is “stoned” in the presence of his grandparents and is not apologetic about it does merit some form of discipline. Depending on the age of the kid, it could be “go to your room” or “get out of the house.” However, if the parents are routinely drunk, they have no grounds for demanding better behavior from the children. Just my opinion — not being a father, I never had to figure out best ways of disciplining kids.

Tom in Daytona

Profile photo of rev62
    Rev62
    Participant

Okay, so you beat your children into believing in God then what?…….

They will fear God their whole lives.

No type of relationship will ever develop between that child and God.

You’ve just created another heathen Christian who has a form of godliness but denies the true power thereof.

While discipline is highly lacking these days in child rearing, it has to be done descent and in order not to the point of utter submission. The problem these days is there is a lack of Godly love because the parents don’t have a true meaningful relationship IN CHRIST.

GOD IS LOVE…….LEARN WHAT THAT IS, APPLY IT TO YOUR OWN LIFE AND THEN SHARE IT WITH OTHERS.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.