Pastoral change at New Church Family

Welcome LGBTIQ Friends And Family! Forums Pastoral change at New Church Family

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of mary mary 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mary

Greetings Friends of New Church Family….

We are going through some changes at NCF — challenging for us, but we are confident the Holy Spirit will help us adjust.

Rev. Susan Roth, our pastor for the past 3 years, and active in our ministry for 12 years, announced June 26 she was retiring immediately and moving to Asheville NC. She emphasized she is in good health, and has no other job lined up. But, at 73, she felt the time was right for the church to move on to new leadership, and for herself to explore a new community. She had lived in Asheville briefly in early 2013 and does know several gay Christians in that area.

Our board has promoted our Lay Leader, Donna Choate, to “interim pastor” and she will serve in that capacity through January 2017.  Then the congregation will decide whether Donna should continue as regular pastor, or if a pastoral search should be started.  As far as I know, the board is not soliciting or receiving any applications at this time. However, I have retired from the board, so I should refer any questions about the pastoral position to the board president, Deb Ramsay.  Contact me and I can put you in touch with Deb.

Donna is approx. 50 and raised in a Baptist tradition in Tennessee. She has been active in our church for two years and was appointed Lay Leader (similar to assistant pastor) last October. She was ordained in 2010.  Her “day jobs” have been in retail and restaurant management. She and spouse Heather were among the first same-gender couples to be legally married in our church.

Our church, which currently is independent and non-denominations,  continues to hold Sunday services at 10 a.m., plus many other activities. Our attendance averages 50-60, and we have about 65 full-fledged members, coming from many different faith traditions, roughly half Catholic and half assorted Protestant flavors. We welcome visitors any time. We are at 3520 W. International Speedway Blvd, which is US 92, on the western edge of Daytona Beach, near the intersection with Interstate 4.

Our website continues to be   and we have an active Facebook Group  (New Church Family of Daytona Beach.)

regards…Tom Brown

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.