MICAH 6:8 — “IT’S ALL ABOUT ETHICS” . . .

Welcome LGBTIQ Friends & Family! Forums Theological Discussions (Public Forum) MICAH 6:8 — “IT’S ALL ABOUT ETHICS” . . .

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of drdj drdj 7 months, 3 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 52 times

• Author
    Profile photo of RevFrank
    revfrank

Micah 6:8 — it’s all about ‘ethics’ . . .
    He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?” Micah 6:8 (NKJV)

I think we can find the ‘definition’ of ethics in the above scripture passage.

JUSTICE
    MERCY
    HUMBLY

Those are three words that ‘reek’ of ETHICS.  Justice for all; mercy (understanding?), and without pride and hautiness.

We all seek justice for ourselves, but for others?  Do we show mercy to those who aren’t in agreement with us?  Do we walk ‘humbly’ with our “God” (however we define this — even Micah says “your God”)?

Are we prepared to put our money where are mouths are? Or, are we satisfied in glorifying our hurts, disappointments, from the ME point of view?

A dollar is a pan-handler’s paper cup; a smile to an elderly person entering the store; a pat on the head of our grandchild who has ‘helped’ baking cookies; a hug to your friend; a contribution to your favorite charity; completing and mailing your income tax return; not breaking the secular laws under which we live; not gossiping; volunteering; working hard for a fair pay; being ecology-efficient; loving yourself.  Those are all ethical and moral indicators of ‘righteousness’, a term used over and over in Scripture.

These three imperatives of Micah point directly to how (hu)man can come to realize “what is good”!

Blessed be God, our Guide . .

Profile photo of Grace
    Grace
    Participant

Thank  you Frank. It was rather refreshing. Meat in due season . Thank you.

Grace

Profile photo of drdj
    drdj
    Participant

I typed a response which disappeared because it said the secure connection was cut.

Thank you for posting this reminder from Micah. I love another verse which I say to myself when I get angry but I believe it is a verse that tells you how to put into pracrtice mercy, justice, and humbleness. It happened it was used in Church yesterday too. It is Philippians 4.8

“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.