Have You Ever Considered the Fish That Gave Its Coin to Jesus?

Christian Gays Forums Daily Devotions Have You Ever Considered the Fish That Gave Its Coin to Jesus?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  gawain 1 year, 5 months ago. This post has been viewed 233 times

• Author

gawain

I have never given this story any thought.  Thank you so much for bringing it to public attention.  It is a short tale, but one full of riches that deserve to be mined.  This material belongs to Special M or material that is found only in Matthew and is unique to Matthew.  I’m curious.  Would you consider this to be one of Jesus’s miracles? Best regards,

Gavin

Brotherlawrence
    Participant

Thank you Mary

John

Brotherlawrence
    Participant

Did You Ever Think About The Fish That Gave Its Coin To Jesus?

By

Brother Lawrence Damien CoS

“When they had come to Capernaum, those who received the temple tax came to Peter and said, “Does your Teacher not pay the temple tax?”He said, “Yes.”

And when he had come into the house, Jesus anticipated him, saying, “What do you think, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth take customs or taxes, from their sons or from strangers?”

Peter said to Him, “From strangers.”

Jesus said to him, “Then the sons are free. Nevertheless, lest we offend them, go to the sea, cast in a hook, and take the fish that comes up first. And when you have opened its mouth, you will find a piece of money; take that and give it to them for Me and you.”[1]

Have you ever thought about the fish that gave its coin to Jesus to help pay the temple tax for Peter and Jesus? Did the fish pray and pray until he got a mighty revelation as to how God would use him? Did he go to fish school and earn a degree that would allow God to use him? Maybe a loud voice with bells ringing and lightening flashing spoke and said “Hey little fish swimming around down there. I know you probably feel foolish swimming around with a coin in your mouth. Its okay I am going to use you today to pay the temple tax for Jesus and Peter ” I doubt any of those things actually happened. The fish was probably doing what fish have done since the beginning of time swimming around minding its own business. Then suddenly God used him.

It works the same for us. It is in the ordinary times of life when we are doing the mundane things we have to do each day that God will use us. Its not seeking a mighty revelation, or seeking to become famous or trying to do something on our own that will get God’s attention and cause Him to use us. It is as we like the fish are going about our normal business that God in His time and when we are ready will use us. We need to relax in God where we are at now and trust if God wanted us somewhere else He’d put us there. We need to also remember God hasn’t forgotten us but is preparing us for what He has for us and when we are ready He will use us. Almost assuredly it will be in something ordinary that we think God would never be in. However its there we find Him no fanfare, no warning necessarily just we are all of a sudden aware of His presence and finding him using us in ways we didn’t expect. The small things then become stepping stones to bigger things as God wills them for us. Like a baby we start with small steps but with practice we get the hang of it and finally work our way through the crawling stage to be able to walk without any problems. In the same way each step of life can be a process by God to teach and help us become what we were meant to be. So today lets relax where God has us, be content like the fish to do what we are supposed to be doing so that when God says go we will be ready to go and do what He has for us. Hope you all like this. Any comments appreciated

God Bless You All Family

Brother Lawrence Damien CoS

[1]    Matthew 1724-27

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

x Shield Logo
This Site Is Protected By
The Shield →