Hacking of Yahoo and How to Switch

Christian Gays Forums Tech Talk Hacking of Yahoo and How to Switch

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mattieboitx 10 months, 3 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 294 times

• Author

mattieboitx
    Participant

Each Step is for that Email system, for example: Gmail, Outlook, AIM, AOL and so on. Please be advised that it may take up to 48 hours to transfer EVERYTHING (including folders) to your new email account. Also, I am here to help with any type of “transition” issue you may have. Let’s get this ball rolling!
    Gmail
    When you sign up, you will get a @gmail.com email account, and everything is self explanatory because Gmail actually helps you set everything up, they have a thing when you first sign in that you need to get to 100% – like a treasure hunt. So here are the step for the transfer.

Look for a gear icon, click it and click on settings
    Accounts and Import – when you put your email address in, make sure your username and passwords are exact!
    Once you are here, you can decide to import all items (contacts, emails for 30 days)
    Be sure to let your Contacts know about the email change, you don’t have to go into detail but would be helpful to say something like “Hey I just switched and…..”

Outlook/Hotmail

Signing up is easy and painless – you will get either a @Hotmail.com or @Outlook.com – your choice!
    Once you have logged in, you will notice at the top left it will say “Outlook Mail”, from the top go to the right side and look for the gear symbol.
    Click that and go to Options (very bottom)
    Once in settings, the mail options are already open, just find Accounts > Connected Accounts
    From here you can import your email only, contacts are a bit tricky.
    Once you have added the account, it may take a little bit for it to run and get all emails. You will  have the option to keep them in a “Yahoo” folder or direct it all to the inbox.
    Exporting or Moving Yahoo Contacts… In Yahoo Mail click on Contacts
    Click Actions > Export
    The File Format should be Microsoft Outlook, click Export Now and save the file where you can get to it (Downloads or Desktop)
    Go back to Outlook.com (if not already there)
    Click the Blue Square on the top left next to Outlook Mail
    Click on “People”
    Once here click on “Manage”
    Click on Import
    You will be asked which file format it was, in this case Yahoo Mail
    Click on the Browse button – this is where you need to remember where you downloaded you Contacts File
    Select
    and then click Upload

I know these seem to be far fetched but, here is a link to help you
    For Gmail:
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/164640?hl=en

For Outlook:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14031/windows-live-mail-import-export-email-contacts-calendars

mattieboitx
    Participant

I am so sorry, I will be sure to update this today with instructions 🙂

mary
    Participant

Thanks for this info Matt but where are instructions of how to switch as per your title?

mattieboitx
    Participant

Within 3 years of the first hack that stole about 500,000 Yahoo User’s data information, the second data breach went to nearly 1,000,000,000.

I am sure a lot of you are asking why is this happening to Yahoo and now, right? Here are some answers and a few steps to switch.

So this is what happened, in my opinion, and what I have read. This was a “state-sponsored” attack from the inside, in which I do believe could have happened. But Yahoo! didn’t do anything about it until 2014 when they got most of the information back.

The security of Yahoo! servers are not as strong as they should be and caused a data breach of half a million user’s data in the US and nearly 8 million in the UK. But, was this the last time it would happen?

Back in September of this year, 2016, another data breach happened which cost Yahoo to lose nearly 1 billion of Yahoo’s user data. This is by far the worse data breach in Internet History. But there are ways to protect yourself, and I hate to say it for my Yahoo Friends, but switching email providers.

Supposedly, the ones who hacked Yahoo changed the “cookies” of the site to steal information, this is why you need to have a Security Program on your Computer, check out the Tech Talk Forum for more info!

Gmail
    Google’s Email system is by far the best in security. Even tho they show ad’s in your email, they are just like regular emails. The one thing I do like about Gmail is that you can use Hangouts (an own messaging system like Messenger from Facebook) or their 2 new apps called Duo which is a Video Chat App or Allo which is their new IM App. Both accounts require you to have a Google Account (not really a Gmail account).

Vivaldi.net Email
    This new email is from the newly published web browser Vivaldi. This browser is based on Opera and Google Chrome. The email system has NO AD’S but is limited to 100 emails a day at a 5Gb email storage. If you are not much of email person, this one is just right for you.

Mail.com and GMX.com

Ever wanted your email address to look something like “me@techie.com”? Well, Mail.com is your place! You have a choice of exactly over 500 different email subdomains (@whatever.net) Their systems are based off the original email system from GMX.com – both are unlimited spaces, but Mail.com has a premium for IMAP/POP while GMX.com gives it for free.

The switch is easy, and I will be posting about this in the Tech Talk Forum in a few more days. If you want to remain with Yahoo, I seriously urge you to change everything from Passwords, Security Answers and everything else connected to Yahoo!

There are many free service providers for email out there and Yahoo has to be the unlucky one with a bad reputation of Data Breaches.

Gmail is the world’s FIRST email provided through a beta progress in which they have all the bugs fixed. Security is Google’s top concern and will always be their top concern.

Mail.com and GMX.com are another 2 that are the same. Built on the same email system, they provide a robust security ecosystem online.

Vivaldi is fairly new and will take some time getting it where it needs to be, but it is still pretty awesome with NO AD’s

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

x Shield Logo
This Site Is Protected By
The Shield →