Grow in Eternal Things – Devotion 9/6/16

Welcome LGBTIQ Friends & Family! Forums Grow in Eternal Things – Devotion 9/6/16

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of drdj drdj 2 months, 4 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 20 times

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of drdj
    drdj
    Participant

Meditation for the Day

”And this is life eternal, that we may know Thee, the only true God.” Learning to know God as best you can draws the eternal life nearer to you. Freed from some of the limitations of humanity, you can grow in the things that are eternal. You can strive for what is real and of eternal value. The more you try to live in the consciousness of the unseen world, the gentler will be your passing into it when the time comes for you to go. This life on earth should be largely a preparation for the eternal life to come. 

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may live each day as though it were my last. I pray that I may live my life as though it were everlasting.

Profile photo of DaytonaTom
    DaytonaTom
    Participant

Hi Dr. DJ….I like this thought….one word I would quibble with is “largely” in the final sentence…I don’t think God intends for us to be preoccupied with the afterlife, but to concentrate on living in the here and now but trying to achieve the ideal Kingdom of God as best as we can, even if we never witness the day of the lion lying down with the lamb.

tom in daytona

Profile photo of drdj
    drdj
    Participant

Tom, you might have guessed, I am using a source for the meditations and do not adjust them. I can understand what you are saying, but how we live in the here and now is our preperation for eternal life.

I sometimes wonder if there is a life-after-death and if we are not to experience eternal life here on earth?

I remember my father-in-law one week before he died. We (my wife, two of my sons and I) had driven the four our trip to see him in hospital. He made a comment that all he had was “his family” and I understand that when we die what we leave behind is the impact we have had on others. I had served on the Church Council before I married and my future father-in-law also served. He often disagreed with decisions made and stated clearly his position but never once did I hear him complain or try to undo a decision once made. He was a man of principle and I admire him for it. His wife was a mental case but he saw his children got to Church (even walking the two miles when he did not have a car). I admired him. I know my one son told me I should be like him. He stuck it out with his wife though she beat him. I could not.

In all my years of teaching, I have probably really impacted between 20 and 50 students (and that mostly was for the personal help I was able to give in my office). I was shocked my first year teaching to find students do not come to office hours for help with the subject but rather for personal problems. I hope I have had a positive impact on my sons and grandchildren. The books and articles I have written – I will not be remembered for those. The sermons and public speeches I have given, I will not be remembered for those. It has to be far more personal and RIGHT living is so much a part of that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.