Enough is enough . . .

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RevFrank revfrank 5 months, 3 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 36 times

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RevFrank
    revfrank

I’m almost at this point, too!  Enough is enough . . .
    FROM THE FACEBOOK PAGE OF:

Paul Raushenbush
    June 14 at 1:42pm · New York, NY, United States ·  
    Over the last 48 hours I’ve come to know that I am fully and finally done accommodating religious hatred towards queer lives — whether from foaming mouthed extremists from any religious tradition, or polite, “respectable” religious denominations with which I most closely identify.

I’m done. It’s over.

How utterly pathetic that it took 49 lives slaughtered for me to pack up my “thank you for your point of view on why queer lives are not fully human” table and close shop.

For too long I have tolerated “Setting a big tent” and “Allowing many points of view” and “Dialogue” when talking about LGBT people as if our lives are up for debate and as if the jury is still out on our humanity, our dignity, or our being made beautifully in God’s image.

Fuck “love the sinner, hate the sin”. All I hear in these conversations now is death.

Recently a woman associate pastor who is the lifeline for closeted LGBT people in her congregation told me that the senior pastor insists that their church be “Welcoming and NOT Affirming.”

DEATH.

Prettified permission to kill others, petrified permission to kill self.

I’m done. Silence = Death.

There is no more debate on queer lives. I will love and be loved and my love is not a question mark in your canon. I will not debate at your annual gathering. There is either death, or life. I will choose life. I will give life. Everlasting.

And now, a benediction from Angels in America:

“The world only spins forward. We will be citizens. The time has come. Bye now. You are fabulous creatures, each and every one. And I bless you: More Life. The Great Work Begins.”

Profile photo of drdj
    drdj
    Participant

Thank you for sharing that Frank. Honestly, I came out in my late 50s and never experienced the real discrimination that many in the gay community have experienced. I never thought twice about being seen entering or exiting a gay club (the closest was when Arnold and I went to a gay dance place in Kuala Lumpur which is noted for being Islamic but once there and seeing the young men dancing I completely relaxed). I do admit that it would take a huge change in laws and a lot of time to change – look at the one school in Toronto where over half the children have been removed from the sex education programme where the children would learn about Canadian mores. One of my own sons was horrified when his oldest daughter in Grade 1 had learned about homosexuality.

Thank you for posting this. I have hurt this week. Even last evening in the car listening to the radio, the hosts were downplaying Orlando by comparing it to the death rate in Chicago (which very much degrades the fact this was a hate crime against the LGBTQ2 community.

Profile photo of RevFrank
    revfrank

Next month, the Anglican Church of Canada is debating gay marriage and the changing of the Marriage Canon.  The House of Bishops is unlikely to pass the motion . . . and this issue will drag on and on . . . as the French statement says, “Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose!

As an openly gay man I have encountered very little face-to-face resistance to my sexual orientation. Though I have friends who have had to literally defend their physical space against people who wished them harm, I have been lucky. I’ve grown up in quiet anonymity, immune to many of the harsh barbs that my fellow gay men and women have had to endure all their lives. Mistakenly, I thought this was a sign that I was being heard, that my life was being validated as equal to those around me.

Over the many years I have spent time with loved ones: friends, family and those who have supported and loved me without reservation over the years, I have come to recognize that their acceptance and support does not always translate into understanding. This leads me to question what I had come to know about support as opposed to true understanding.

In all these instances we’re talking about people who honour their relationships with their gay family and friends and would never think of intentionally causing pain. These scenarios don’t scream injustice, but the underlying voices don’t really call for tolerance or ask for change through actions or votes. As a matter of fact, I believe it’s this kind of complacency and quiet acquiescence that has slowed the progress of gay rights throughout the years.

To put things more clearly into perspective, if you are part of a heterosexual, married couple with children, imagine the following:

After you met your spouse, you probably dated for a while, your feelings for each other grew, and you fell in love with one another. After some time passed, you decided that you wanted to marry, and that you wanted to have children, raise a family and share your lives together. So far, so good. Now imagine that you couldn’t do any of this, that your government told you that you could not marry this person, that doing so was against the law of the land. Imagine that society said to you, “Those children you want to have? Well, that’s ridiculous. You can’t seriously think that you should be allowed to raise children. That’s just wrong, and, oh, it’s also against the law. Now that we think of it, it’s probably not enough to say that you can’t get married. Let’s vote on a constitutional amendment to make sure you can’t get married.” If this happened to you, where do you think you’d find yourself today?

For those of you who think that my opposition to people, or groups, who espouse these views, let me ask you to imagine something else. Simply replace the word “gay” in these arguments with the word “Jew,” or “African Canadian,” or “woman,” or “person with a learning disability,” or “Christian,” or “Muslim.”  Imagine that “no Christian/Jew/Muslim can marry” is the mantra of our country, and Christians/Jews/Muslims can’t have kids, because that’s also against the law. Now, what does this Christian/Jew/Muslim do? Should he/she ignore a particular individual’s or group’s actively hostile discrimination because, you know, he/she agrees with the individual’s or group’s stance against the issue of changing the rules of the marriage canon? Is that the “one issue” he should choose to focus on while the basic tenets of “all men are created equal” are being denied to him?

That cheap vacation you’re taking? Let’s say that one of your children grew up to be someone who was ostracized by a government (like any number in the Anglican Worldwide Communion). All this talk about “making the world a better place for our children” means very little if their feelings, their relationships and their very equality are legally void in the eyes of the government. Furthermore, every single person who visits a place like some of these countries (and supports their economy) is providing that government with one less reason to change.

The truth is that I’m not worried about my way of life or a cheaper vacation. I can figure out how to live my life with fewer dollars. What I can’t afford is to try to live my life without the proper measure of respect. When next choosing how to vote or spend your dollars, I implore you to think about these so-called “one-issue voters at General Synod.” What it comes down to is how a person chooses to spend his or her currency of support and acceptance in life: People can fund ignorance, luxury and even convenience, but it could be at the expense of the respect and dignity of those they purport to love. Or you could recognize that this is about so much more than just one issue. It’s about every issue, and it affects every one of us. Let’s try to make that our “one issue” to understand.

This website provides a good analysis (a little academic) on the stance of various denominations on “being gay-friendly“.  An interesting read.

https://sites.google.com/site/lgbtandscripture/home/where-denominations-stand-on-lgbt

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Profile photo of mary mary.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.