Eleanor and Hick: The Love Affair That Shaped A First Lady

Christian Gays Forums Book Reviews Eleanor and Hick: The Love Affair That Shaped A First Lady

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mary 5 months, 3 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 183 times

• Author

oldbear
    Participant

Derrrr!! I’m clearly totally unobservant.

It was a review you shared, not yours, Mary.

I apologise.

Andrew

oldbear
    Participant

Hi Mary!

Hope you enjoyed a great Thanksgiving Day. Oh, wait, you’re in Canada………is the day celebrated there?

Anyway, your review of Eleanor and Hick……..a good piece that’s piqued my interest. I’m just a bit confused though. Wasn’t Eleanor married to President Roosevelt? 

Love to you and all yours.

Andrew

mary
      Participant

Yes, you are quite right. Eleanor was married to President Franklin D Roosevelt.

Some of her quotes:

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

mary
    Participant

Review by Mónica Pérèz, Beacon, NY, as seen in Lesbian Connection magazine Sept/Oct 2018.

This 2016 nonfiction book by Susan Quinn is the most honest and in-depth of the many books I’ve read about Eleanor Roosevelt and Lorena “Hick” Hickok.  It thoroughly explores the lives of both women from early childhood up through their deaths.  Without each other, neither woman would have become the outstanding individual she was.  This book answers the questions I had about both women that other books had left unanswered.

Interestingly, Eleanor gravitated towards Lesbian women starting in her teens when she attended a girls’ boarding school in London, England.  Eleanor was mentored by the school’s founder and headmistress, Marie Souvestre, the French Lesbian on whom the classic Lesbian novel OLIVIA was based.  As an adult, Eleanor shared a cottage with a Lesbian couple at Val-Kill in Hyde Park, NY, and for several years, she lived in a Greenwich Village apartment and was active in the Lesbian community there.  Eleanor respected other women’s relationships, and she wanted a stable, loving relationship for herself.

ELEANOR AND HICK spans thirty years – we observe their friendship grow into deep love, only to then see them grow apart, their relationship becoming a friendship again.  In my opinion, despite their efforts to repair their relationship and attempts to find love with others, neither woman found true love again.

This book gave me insight into myself and the Lesbian community at large, as I read about how these two very strong women tried to forge a lifelong relationship in the context of their time period.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.