A Forbidden Rumspringa

Christian Gays Forums Book Reviews A Forbidden Rumspringa

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Guest 7 months, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 227 times

• Author

Participant
    I worked just outside an Old order Mennonite community for 40 years and often went into the community, for instance I bought all my eggs at a farmhouse about 4 km from my house. I got used to the horse and buggy transportation and the local malls had hitching posts. When I first moved to the area, the Saturday market was mostly Mennonite farmers selling farm produce and quilts.

I recently came across a series of three M/M romance books that detail very much an Amish community.  The house, the barn (barn raisings were fun) and the shunning are all perfectly illustrated.  Of course, as I discovered, the community tends to split when some of the community try modern things.  The first President of the University I taught at was Mennonite pastor and I had HUGE respect for him but he was a pastor at a more modern church.  The Old Order do not have electricity, wear black, boys wear shorts until they reach a certain age, etc. but the President could drive a plain car but I knew of no vices, and his word meant an agreement that would not be broken.  (I was President of the Faculty for a period and he and I would have financial and contract things to agree on (we were not unionized then).

Anyway, these books reflect a sect of Amish who split to become more strict, less worldly.
    The books are by Keira Andrews and the first in the series is “A Forbidden Rumspringa“.

I was so engrossed and coming down with a cold so read all three books in one week, demonstrating that I was caught up in the emotions and yes I cried near the end of the third book.

For me, the realism of strict religious teaching against the sin of homosexuality in a community as strict as the Old Order Amish caught my attention and to have the two young men finally realize that they were born gay and God does not make mistakes so that they forego their family and religion in order to live as gay men who remain Christian albeit quite a different denominations – Unitarian.

The reflections on the buildings (described perfectly the kitchen I would call at to buy eggs but they would take me to the barn to get the eggs (so wonderful when that fresh).  Last week I corresponded with the author and now know of many other books she has written.

I can not say with enough strength, for those interested in gay Christians who have difficulty with their religion, a lot can be learned from these books.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.