Reply To: How do I even begin to respond to this?

Welcome LGBTIQ Friends & Family! Forums *Social Group* How do I even begin to respond to this? Reply To: How do I even begin to respond to this?

Profile photo of mary

Hi Polly,

This letter makes me realize just how urgent it is that I get more information from the old site posted to the information pages on the new site.

<<homosexuality is defined as a sin in the scriptures. I think>>

She thinks wrong.

There is no word in biblical Greek or Hebrew that is the equivalent to the English word homosexual. The 1946 Revised Standard Version (RSV) of the New Testament was the first translation to incorrectly use the word homosexual (in I Cor 6:9).

Wherever same-sex acts are mentioned, it is either with regard to ritualistic traditions which were intended to increase the small population of the Hebrews, or it is among the Purity Codes for the Priests, or it is with regard to temple prostitution (idol worship) which was very common among the pagan people who surrounded the Hebrews, or it had to do with rape, power and violence as in the story of Sodom and Gomorrah.

None of the “clobber verses” used against gays refer to a loving relationship between two people, however you will find examples of same-sex love in the beautiful and romantic stories of Ruth and Naomi, a passage which very often is used in marriage ceremonies and yet it is between two women.

“And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee (Naomi), [or] to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people [shall be] my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, [if ought] but death part thee and me.” Ruth 1:16,17

– and of David and Jonathan

“The soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.” I Samuel 18:1(b)

(from my Article “Jesus Loves Me. This I Know . . . Even If I’m Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual or Transgendered” at

or you can download my ebook from the Information page -> FREE ebooks  )

Dear Polly, it’s hard to step out of the box of traditional thinking, but sometimes we need to, to do what’s RIGHT!

“The Bible has been perverted to uphold slavery, apartheid and segregation, to malign Jews and other non-Christian people of faith, to support Hitler’s Third Reich, to resist medical science and to rebuke inter-racial marriage.

It has been used to execute women as witches, to defend the racism of the Ku Klux Klan and to perpetrate intolerance and discrimination of women and sexual minorities.

It took the Catholic Church 359 years to admit that they were wrong when they accused Galileo of heresy and condemned him to death unless he recanted that the earth rotates around the sun.

Oh yes! The Bible has been misused and misinterpreted often over the years, and it has been misinterpreted regarding the issue of homosexuality.”

(also from the same article)

I don’t think that your ex is in a position to “learn” but please, for your own sake, keep posting here and we will keep answering your questions.

God bless,